Updated: 10 Jul 2011
If you are one of those with low attention spans, or if you just get a kick out of reading random information, this page is for you. Personally, I don't have as much time to update this section as I used to, but I still enjoy hearing about random things. If you think about it, all news is random — it's the randomness of it that makes it news — and makes it unique. Look around — you'll probably learn something today that you'll never have to use in the future. Did you know that a pile of 40 pickles has the same caloric content as a bottle of beer?
- 23 Feb 2007 For the first time in two centuries, the North American beaver has been spotted in New York City.
- 1 Jan 2006 Devout Orthodox Jews are three times as likely to jaywalk as other people, according to an Israeli survey reported in the New Scientist.
- 11 Nov 2005 Marlon Brando loved key lime pie.
- 30 Aug 2005 Penn State was the first university in the United States to offer courses in ice cream manufacturing.
- 16 Mar 2005 Heard on the radio: March is National Problem Gambling Awareness Month...
- 5 Mar 2004 In 1865, a total of 575,511 live hogs were shipped out of Chicago.
- 3 Feb 2004 Cheese is naturally lactose-free.
- 7 July 2003 Capitol Records is EMI's United States distributor.
- 14 May 2003 On 11 March 2003, I overheard this statement: Well, the chimpanzee probably stopped and ate a banana or something..
- 7 Jan 2003 The National Mall in Washington DC once had train tracks cris-crossing 7th St.
- 9 Sept 2002 The Bourne Identity recently surpassed The Sum of All Fears at the box office.
- 4 June 2002 Elephants sleep only two hours a day.
- 18 Mar 2002 The average age difference between a husband and wife is three years.
- 23 Dec 2001 Innovative Ideas, Inc. is headquartered in Chandler, Arizona.
- 20 Nov 2001 The population of Fauquier County, VA in 2000 was 55,139.
- 25 Aug 2001 McDonalds uses a natural beef flavoring in their French fries.
- 28 June 2001 In 2000, Amazon.com's interest payable increased by $34 million.
- 31 Mar 2001 Average hourly earnings went up $.07 among US workers in February 2001.
- 31 Dec 2000 Africans purchase 1.6% of all autos sold worldwide.
- 23 Oct 2000 Coca-Cola provides 2.13% of the world-wide daily beverage servings that people consume.
- 4 Sept 2000 Federal outlays as a percentage of the gross domestic product are currently 18.7%.
- 19 July 2000 Kevin Bacon is a Philadelphia native.
- 25 May 2000 The feline gestation period is approximately 63 days.
- 24 Mar 2000
- 3 Feb 2000 Three dried apricots contain 448 milligrams of potassium.
- 18 Nov 1999 Fred McGriff's career on-base percentage is 37.8%.
- 27 Sept 1999 The odds of winning a game of non-computer solitare are 28 : 1.
- 19 May 1999 In 1990, there were 15,607 nursing homes in the United States.
- 26 Apr 1999 In 1791, 385 kettles of maple sugar were sold in Otsego county, New York.
- 14 Apr 1999 Today is the 134th anniversary of "Honest Abe" Lincoln's assassination.
- 30 Mar 1999 On this date in 1842, Florida became a U.S. territory.
- 18 Mar 1999 Kirstie Alley and Rush Limbaugh were both born on January 12, 1951.
- 9 Mar 1999 Blondie's "The Best of Blondie" was released on October 13, 1981.
- 19 Jan 1999 Macaulay Culkin has been a married man for 6 months and 29 days.
- 29 Dec 1998 Ken Starr's mom just died.